Shades of Blonde

Sunday, June 25, 2006

Songs of the Seventies

These are some of my favorite songs of my childhood and the memories that accompany them:

The song that taught my brother and I to dance, I mean really dance, in a funky way, was the version of "I Shot the Sheriff" that Eric Clapton had a no. 1 hit with in 1974. It had the kind of beat that you could really get down to, gyrating your hips, and singing along, feeling really cool about yourself, if you were 6 or 7 years old. We never could figure out why he didn't shoot the deputy, perhaps because he was the deputy in question?

Funny how I took songs at face value when I was little and thought they revolved me and my family alone.
For instance, the lyrics from "Black Water" by The Doobie Brothers:
"I like to hear some funky Dixieland
Pretty mama come and take me by the hand
By the hand, hand
Take me by the hand, pretty mama
Come and dance with your daddy all night long"
I truly thought my mother was going to take me by my hand one day, (I loved holding her hand), and show me some big happy place named "Dixieland" where everyone was having a blast, and she was going to dance there with my father all night long.

I greatly admired B.J. Thomas for keeping his spirits up and never crying, even though those raindrops kept falling on his head.

I felt terrible for Charlie Rich, who was searching for the most beautiful girl in the world. I always kept a watchful eye in case I might see her walking around somewhere. I wasn't exactly sure what she looked like, only that she was thee most beautiful girl, and I would surely know when I did finally see her. I was going to let her know in no uncertain terms how sorry he was and that he did indeed love her.

When Lynn Anderson begged your pardon because she never promised you a rose garden, I thought she was a most foolish woman. To make her man happy, how hard would it be to plant him a few rosebushes?

"Fly, Robin, Fly" was a very uplifting song with a great beat to dance to. I still drop everything and crank up the vloume if I am lucky enough to catch that song on the radio station.

My dad used to love listening to music such as Gladys Knight & the Pips or Dinah Washington. When I noticed the singers were black on the covers of the 8 track tapes, I asked him why he listened to mostly black singers. His reply was, "They've got the rhythm!"

Being an animal lover, I thought Maria Muldaur was pretty cool since she knew someone who actually owned a camel and needed to put it to bed. I saw her on television once and decided she was beautiful, but not that great of a singer.

I also felt sorry for Roger Miller, the King of the Road, when he complained he "ain't got no cigarettes". I picked that song to dance to in a talent show for elementary school. Participation was voluntary, and would help our Music grade. Not being a very musically inclined kid, and a terrible singer, choosing to dance was the only option. I got up on that stage all by myself, and played the record on the phonograph. I hadn't practiced at all, and made up the dance steps all the way. My music teacher and class had to sit through five minutes of my cavorting around onstage, advertising a trailer for sale or rent. I was thrilled to have their undivided attention. A few clapped when I was finished. I got an "A" in music, probably for bravery, and was teased unmercifully by kids for the rest of the day.

6 Comments:

At 6:00 PM, Blogger paris parfait said...

Your post of memorable music moments in your life awakened some lovely memories for me. As for Maria Muldaur, I liked her song "Midnight at the Oasis" and "Midnight Blue." :)

 
At 8:56 PM, Blogger Colorsonmymind said...

Oh how perfect...you answered my question without even realizing it...

what a great list and great thoughts you had as a child..

 
At 10:10 PM, Blogger January said...

I had a similar childhood memory. I danced to The Chipmunk Song at my talent show. *sigh*

You're right--I think the 70s were a time of feeling really cool about yourself. Thanks for sharing your memories.

 
At 12:07 AM, Blogger Sacred Suzie said...

That's quite a musical repertoire!

Music can bring back so many memories.

Yes, the 70s was totally awesome when it came to music and having fun. I LOVED that.

 
At 2:50 AM, Blogger Kristine said...

Ok, now I've got that Doobie Brothers song stuck in my head.
I am picturing an awkward girl dancing in front of her classmates ...
This was fun to read. I ate it up!

 
At 4:10 AM, Blogger ian russell said...

beautiful memories told with great humour here, i enjoyed reading this. literal lyrics, now there's a thing to explore. ;o)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home